Kevin Smith: Happy with Stafford

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Matthew Stafford is making friends. At least that's the sentiment that can be drawn from running back Kevin Smith, who praised the rookie QB's OTA performance via his blog.

"One thing that really has surprised me so far in OTAs is how good Matthew Stafford has looked. This is my first experience playing with a guy who was the first overall pick in the draft. It’s not like I was doubting him at first. But when you have the top draft pick, it’s a big deal because everyone makes such a big deal about it all the time. So far, so good for Matt. He’s very poised for a young quarterback and very smart from what I can see. He reads coverage and can deliver the ball. I didn’t get a chance to watch him at Georgia, and in the highlights it looked like he could just do what all quarterbacks can do. So he’s really impressed me now that I’ve had a chance to see him up close."

Previously, Smith had tossed around Daunte Culpepper's name like a little league dad promoting his child. Some even questioned whether or not Stafford could make an impact in a locker room that has grown largely attached to the idea of the veteran Culpepper at the helm, making the show of bipartisanship somewhat helpful to getting Stafford some traction amongst his peers.

Discuss it in The Den!