Former Lion Leigh Bodden The Pats Best Cornerback?

Friday, July 3, 2009

That was the suggestion offered in a Boston Globe chat transcript with Pats' insider Christopher L. Gasper ...

"But...I will list who I think are the top five corners on the team because this is the primary position I think the Patriots have upgraded this off-season. Don't sleep on Leigh Bodden. He could have a Pro Bowl year. I think Bodden is the top corner, followed by Shawn Springs, then Jonathan Wilhite as the "star" or slot corner. I think Darius Butler (great ball skills) will push for playing time early. Then fifth I'd say is Terrence Wheatley. "

Bodden, if you might remember, was acquired last off-season in the trade that sent DT Shaun Rogers to Cleveland. Before playing a snap in Detroit's zone coverage defense, the man-to-man cornerback was also awarded a four-year, multi-million dollar contract.

The result?

Well, he did lead all Lions cornerbacks in interceptions in 2008. With one. Before being dispatched as ineffective ...

As The Den regular Wildcat67 put it, "See what happens when you have a scheme that fits players strengths?" Talk about this topic in The Den message board ...